TRUCKEE — At first, nobody was filing for local races in the November election. Then came a rush of candidates, days and hours before the Friday, Aug. 6, deadline, turning empty positions into contested competitions. Still, some races didn't get enough candidates, or all the incumbents didn't file, extending the deadline until Aug. 11, extending the mad scramble of would-be board members.And one race only has two candidates for three seats — the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District.Dianna Driller, a Tahoe City resident and North Tahoe High parent, filed to run for the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District Area 5 seat held by Trustee Bev Ducey. Then, just last Tuesday, Kim Szczurek, Truckee's administrative services director, filed for the district's Area 1 position, held by appointed Trustee Pat Gibbons-Johnson, who is filling in for former Trustee Bill Kraus who relocated to Washington.The filings still leaves open one last seat, Area 4, currently held by Lisa Mohun, and the vacancy will have to be appointed by district trustees later this year since Mohun, announced she will be relocating to another part of the district.Below are the current races happening in Truckee and North Lake Tahoe according to Placer and Nevada county, yet according to Placer County, Eldorado County has as of Thursday morning yet to confirm the candidate filings of shared districts.
- Man apparently drowns in Lake Tahoe; investigation underway
- Sheriff's office investigating suspicious death in South Lake Tahoe
- Dog dies in South Lake Tahoe structure fire Monday (updated)
- Drought impact on Sierra forests starting to show in Nevada
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown