Back to: News
January 11, 2012
Follow News

Investigation into fatal New Year's weekend pedestrian accident continues

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — As the investigation continues into the fatal New Year's weekend accident that killed Incline residents Linda S. Mathis and Robert C. Mathis, it remains unknown if criminal charges will be filed against the man who allegedly was driving the truck that struck them.The case was assigned late last week to Jennifer P. Noble, a deputy district attorney with Washoe County. If charges are filed, Noble said a preliminary hearing would likely be scheduled for a future date at the James V. Mancuso Justice Court in Incline Village.“We are awaiting the full accident investigation report and toxicology results,” Noble said Wednesday. “Until that time, we are in a holding period before we can determine what criminal charges may be filed.”According to previous reports, Christopher Torii Smith, 25, from Grass Valley, Calif., was driving a black 2006 Chevrolet pickup southbound (east toward Sand Harbor) on Highway 28 east of the Village Boulevard intersection shortly before 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 30, when he allegedly struck the Mathises, who were crossing from the east side.Witness statements and evidence at the scene indicate the Mathises were in or close to the painted crosswalk located near the Tahoe Regional Transit Agency bus stop, near Radio Shack, when they were struck, according to the Nevada Highay Patrol.Smith, who is suspected to be under the influence of drugs at the time of the crash, was booked into Washoe County Jail on suspicion of two counts of DUI causing death and failure to yield to pedestrians; his bail was set at $60,200. He was released from jail during that weekend.It is unknown if Smith has an attorney.


Explore Related Articles

Tahoe Daily Tribune Updated Jan 11, 2012 05:33PM Published Jan 11, 2012 05:32PM Copyright 2012 Tahoe Daily Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.