In response to Andy Wirth joining the Reno Tahoe Winter Games Coalition board:The marketing machine known as Andy Wirth has joined the board that is officially pushing for an Olympic bid in 2022. I’m not sure what kind of media spin we can look forward to in the coming years, but a hard look should be taken at the pros and cons of being a host city.Who is to gain the most from hosting the Games? Most likely the big companies like KSL, JMA and Vail Resorts, while taxpayers are left with the debt from the cost of building the infrastructure.Yes, there are some obvious short-term economic benefits as well as some possible municipal boosts our area could use.Truckee/Tahoe can’t handle a holiday snow storm without gridlock. So I would love to see some road improvements and more public transportation options — I just don’t want to pay for it 20 years after while lining someone else’s pocket in the short term.There’s no shortage of information on the Internet. Here is just one NY Times article: http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/do-olympic-host-cities-ever-win.Let’s keep the discussion ongoing and the decisions informed whether for or against.Kevin StarrTruckee
Letter to the Editor: If we get the Olympics, who wins?
Trending in: News
- Truckee Police: Home burglaries on the rise
- Tahoe man injured in Truckee crash is former prosecutor
- Chateau project developer makes deal to purchase other parcels; project could move forward as envisioned
- Horizon to undergo multi-million dollar renovation
- Local pilot survives, wife killed in Truckee plane crash