Special to the Bonanza

Back to: News
February 26, 2012
Follow News

Fire district reminds residents of proper fireplace ash disposal

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — Improper ash disposal is a common cause of structure as well as wildland fires. Whether fireplace or barbecue ashes, it is important to understand that embers in an insulating bed of ash can remain hot up to a week or more.

Here are some important safety tips to remember when discarding your fireplace or barbecue ashes:

• Do not put ashes in a paper bag or cardboard box or place ashes on your deck, in the bushes or next to the house. Also, do not discard ashes in a Dumpster where there are other combustible materials, as there is the chance the ashes are not completely extinguished, and such disposal can lead to an unnecessary fire.

• Thoroughly douse the ashes with water or simply place the ashes in a non-combustible metal container used solely for ash storage and wait a couple of weeks before throwing them away.

• It is necessary to wait until the embers are completely extinguished and cold (at least 7 days) before placing them into a garbage receptacle or Dumpster.

For more information on proper ash disposal and storage, call your local fire protection district.

For the Incline Village and Crystal Bay area, contact the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District at 775-831-0351, ext. 0, or visit www.nltfpd.net.

— Submitted by the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District.

Stories you may be interested in

Tahoe Daily Tribune Updated Feb 26, 2012 02:04PM Published Feb 26, 2012 02:03PM Copyright 2012 Tahoe Daily Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.