One of the largest environmental film festivals in North America, the Wild & Scenic Environmental Film Festival returns to South Shore Friday for the seventh consecutive year. With a growing public awareness for the environment, the Wild & Scenic Environmental Film Festival - On Tour aims to increase the awareness through inspiring and educational films, which hopefully will motivate people to go out and make a difference in their community and around the world.The seventh annual Wild & Scenic Film Festival - On Tour will be shown from 7-10 p.m. Friday, March 9 at MontBleu Resort Casino and Spa. Doors open at 6 p.m.Presented by the Sierra Nevada Alliance, Patagonia and the South Lake Tahoe Earth Day Committee, the Wild & Scenic Environmental Film Festival combines award-winning environmental and adventure films with the energy of local activism. This year, the festive has chosen powerful environmental and adventure films, attendees are inspired to take further action regarding issues that impact our environment, ourselves and our world.A few of the films we selected include "With My Own Two Wheels," the feature film, which weaves together the experiences of five individuals into a single story about how the bicycle can change the world one pedal stroke at a time. "Things Worth Saving" the Tahoe feature, outlines the proposal for Wild and Scenic designation for the Upper Truckee River Watershed. It highlights the area and talks to local experts about this proposal. In "Chasing Water," photojournalist Peter McBride sets out to document the flow of the Colorado River from source to sea.
- Increased plague risk at Lake Tahoe's Fallen Leaf Campground; area to close briefly for pesticide treatments
- New Lake Tahoe Boat Show offers taste of the latest watercraft, Brew Fest
- Leaving a legacy: Softball, basketball mainstay Barcellos honored as South Tahoe Girls Athlete of the Year
- Pine pollen dusts Lake Tahoe's South Shore, bringing with it seasonal allergies
- Tahoe City's new Basecamp hotel: 'modern mountain with a sense of humor'