INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — Lake Tahoe will be off limits moving forward for the Nevada black bear hunt, which will enter its second season later this year.
In a 6-3 vote Saturday, the Nevada Wildlife Commission voted to prohibit black-bear hunting on the Nevada side of the Lake Tahoe Basin, according to an Associated Press article by Martin Griffith.
Ever since the idea of a black bear hunt in Nevada was first offered in 2010, it has been challenged heavily by pro-wildlife groups, with NoBearHuntNV.org leading the way, arguing that hunting bear in the Tahoe Basin poses dangers to the avid recreation community here and a detriment to an economy that relies on tourism dollars.
Bear hunting still will be allowed in other areas of western Nevada.
According to the AP, Nevada Department of Wildlife spokeswoman Teresa Moiola said there were no reports of conflicts with other users during the state’s inaugural bear hunt in 2011 when 14 bruins were killed.
Quotas won’t be decided until May, said NDOW spokesman Chris Healy in an interview before Saturday’s hearing.
In related news, California has already launched quotas and boundaries for its 2012 hunt.
This year’s quota in California is 1,700 bears. The boundaries of the hunt range from the Oregon border all the way to Southern California.
Last year in California, 1,264 bears were killed by hunters.