Back to: News
May 30, 2012
Follow News

Letter to the Editor: Bonanza irresponsible in publishing IVGID spin

On May 24, 2012, Bonanza editor Kevin MacMillan wrote an Op Ed accusing me of having made a false assertion of fact in my responses to the Bonanza’s questions posed to IVGID Trustee candidates.

Here is what Kevin wrote: “Candidate Aaron Katz states ‘our utility rates have increased 20 percent in two years.’ But according to IVGID numbers, the average combined sewer and water rate increase for 2012 … is 6.8 percent, and it was 7.3 percent for 2011 — a total of 14.1 percent.”

The Bonanza and the public need to learn that the propaganda supplied by IVGID staff is often deceitful if not untruthful. And here’s an example. Anyone who thinks the sum of the two yearly percentage increases necessarily equals the percentage increase for the two-year period needs to repeat fifth grade math. But more to the point, IVGID didn’t share with the Bonanza that two years ago our water and sewer rates included an allotment of 3,000 gallons of water usage per month; 2012-13’s rates reduce that allotment to 1,000 gallons per month, and in 2013-14 the allotment is eliminated altogether.

Thus in comparing 2010-11’s rates to 2012-13’s, we’re not comparing apples to apples unless and until we add the cost of 2,000 gallons of excess water usage. When we do, we discover the two-year increase is a minimum of 19.66 percent; just what I represented.

Bill Horn (IVGID’s General Manager) is motivated to spin the truth so it doesn’t show that IVGID is broke and broken. Consequently, we can’t believe any of the conclusions he makes about any of our financials such as the Hyatt Sport Shop generates an operational profit (when one factors in the cost of the goods and services the Sport Shop sells [which Mr. Horn intentionally deletes from his computations] it loses over $150K annually).

I realize in challenging economic times as these the Bonanza is short handed. However, it acts irresponsibly when it publishes IVGID spin without verifying the truth. That leaves the public with the impression others’ factual assertions are fabricated when in truth-and-in-fact, they are not.

Aaron Katz

candidate for IVGID Trustee

Stories you may be interested in

Tahoe Daily Tribune Updated May 30, 2012 02:06PM Published May 30, 2012 02:04PM Copyright 2012 Tahoe Daily Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.