SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — A 31-year-old Antioch man apparently drowned near Camp Richardson off Lake Tahoe's South Shore Saturday after jumping off a boat and being unable to make it to shore.About 1:30 p.m. Asish Janardhan got out of a boat he was driving near the pier in front of the Beacon Bar andamp; Grill and entered the water with another passenger, said El Dorado County Sheriff's Lt. Pete Van Arnum.Janardhan was about 100 feet from the pier and intended to swim to the beach, Van Arnum said.About halfway to shore Janardhan began waiving his arms. The remaining passengers in the boat were initially unsure if he was in trouble or joking, but knew something was wrong when Janardhan dropped below the surface of the water, Van Arnum said.The passengers were unable to get the boat started. Employees from the Beacon and El Dorado County Search and Rescue volunteers who were training in the area entered the water and brought Janardhan onshore, Van Arnum said.He received CPR on scene, but was pronounced dead after paramedics took him to Barton Memorial Hospital in South Lake Tahoe, according to the sheriff's spokesman.Authorities believe Lake Tahoe's frigid waters contributed to Janardhan's inability to reach the beach. The passenger who left the boat with Janardhan remained near the vessel and showed signs of being affected by the water's temperature, Van Arnum said.An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.
- Tahoe’s Kevin Murnane remembered for vast community support (updated)
- California drought: More work needed as water conservation sees positive results at Lake Tahoe, Truckee
- Bruce in the USA brings Springsteen to Harrah’s Lake Tahoe
- SLT family calls for responsible pet owners after dog death
- American ski hero Travis Ganong enrolls at Sierra Nevada College