INCLINE VILLAGE — The Trio Brio is growing.Soprano Anna Helwing will join keyboardist David Brock, viola player Pat Crane and clarinetist Darrell Moore for two performances of “Mostly American Music and Humor.”The performances will be June 30 in the Toccata Performing Arts Theater at Incline Village and July 2 in a home on Kingsbury Grade.Brock will play a pair of enduring ragtime piano pieces by Scott Joplin, “The Maple Leaf Rag” and the “Weeping Willow Ragtime Two Step.” Helwing will sing Aaron Copland’s “Old American Songs.” This first set of five settings plays homage to American folk songs from the 19th century which Copland arranged in 1950.For non-American music lovers, or American non-American music lovers, or just American lovers, Crane will perform Georg Philipp Telemann’s “Fantasia X.”Trio Brio will be tested, Brock said, with “one really juicy, terribly-difficult piece from the Romantic era,” Reinecke Trio in A major, Op. 264.There will be lightheartedness in celebration of the 205th birthday of the mythical P.D.Q. Bach (1807-1742?), allegedly a first generational immigrant to the U.S. and the 21st illegitimate son of J.S. Bach. Trio Brio and Anna Helwing will perform two of his greatest compositions: Four Folk Song Upsettings (S.4) for Mezzanine-Soprano, Devious Instruments, and Piano, and the almost as famous Toot Suite (S. 212) for Calliope or Organ, Four Hands (Brock and Helwing).Brock said there will be “deft bowing” from Crane and “skillful scaling” by Moore “melodious vocalization” from Helwing and a pensive countenance from the band leader.
- Summer slidin': 1,000-foot slip 'n slide makes Lake Tahoe debut
- Strength on stage: Tahoe Show bodybuilding competition returns to MontBleu for sixth edition, features 300 competitors
- 48-hour Tahoe getaway: regional highlights you can't miss
- Judge upholds Loop Road Project ballot measure in councilor candidate's lawsuit against city
- Sierra House Elementary's two-week program offers more than academics