Staff Report

Follow Me

Back to: News
August 31, 2012
Follow News

West Way fire caused by discarded cigarette

The fire that ignited Sunday on West Way was caused by a discarded cigarette, the U.S. Forest Service stated Friday.

"A discarded cigarette caused the Gondola Fire 10 years ago, which shows what could have happened if this fire hadn't been rapidly reported and suppressed," USFS spokeswoman Cheva Heck stated in an email. "We'd like to remind everyone that, while fall is approaching, the Lake Tahoe Basin remains in high fire danger, and the Forest Service has issued fire restrictions for the lands we manage (75 percent of the land around the lake). In particular, smoking is prohibited in most places on the national forest."

Stories you may be interested in

Tahoe Daily Tribune Updated Aug 31, 2012 06:32PM Published Aug 31, 2012 06:30PM Copyright 2012 Tahoe Daily Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.