This summer the Boys & Girls Club launched the Girls Gone Wise Program. Although the club has had other Girls Empowerment programs over the years, this one was different. The program targeted girls in fourth through eighth grades and provided them with opportunities to increase their self-esteem and empower them with knowledge about college, careers, getting along with others, fitness, and all the issues facing young girls growing up. Twelve girls from the club spent each Wednesday at a different, special location. Camp Richardson, Embassy Suites, Edgewood, and Lake Tahoe Community College were the host for the first four weeks. A variety of activities took place each week. The final destination for the fifth-week celebration was an overnight campout hosted by the City of South Lake Tahoe at the Campground by the Lake. For some, this was their first experience camping. As they sat around the campfire that night, they were invited to share what they had learned and liked from participating in the Girls Gone Wise program. The comments echoed how they learned to get along, they felt they had more self confidence, they want more girls to participate and the girls are looking forward to the program during the school year. Overwhelmingly all said they can't wait for next summer to do the Summer Girls Gone Wise Program again. For more information about Girls Gone Wise and the Boys & Girls Club. visit www.bgclt.org.
- 'True Squallywood legend' | Tahoe photographer beginning road to recovery after spinal cord injury
- Woman, 61, suspected of embezzling $850,000 from Lake Tahoe business
- North Tahoe crime logs: Man, woman fight over food, who pooped in bathtub
- Tahoe's Sand Harbor boat ramp won't launch for 2015; others will open
- Maloff presents Barton with $10 million check