A scheduling aberration is South Lake Tahoe’s gain.Sister Sparrow & the Dirty Birds tour includes Whiskey Dick’s Saloon. Other stops are Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Nashville, Tenn., Charlotte, Atlanta, Tampa and Houston. The band also will play a festival in New Orleans with Neil Young and Crazy Horse and Green Day.Opening Thursdays Tahoe show is Jelly Bread, perhaps Reno’s fastest rising band.Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds is a nine-piece powerhouse that puts a modern spin on classic soul. The band is led by Arleigh “Sister Sparrow” Kincheloe, whose powerful voice and sly demeanor make for a spellbinding presence onstage. She is backed by the mighty force of the Dirty Birds, a flock of eight who masterfully lay down thundering grooves and soaring melodies. Sister Sparrow began penning tunes in the alleyways and back roads between New York City and the Catskill Mountains as a teenager. Within six months of its November 2010 debut release on Modern Vintage Recordings, Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds had opened for the Black Keys, the Neville Brothers, Dr. John, the Rebirth Brass Band, and the Soul Rebels Brass Band, among others. Through appearances at such festivals as moe.down, Strange Creek, Camp Jam, Sterling Stage, and late-night at New Orleans JazzFest, it continued to gain wider acclaim.
- Tension high over bear management in Nevada side of Tahoe Basin
- Five injured in car accident down Kingsbury Grade Friday; city council candidate and wife confirmed as two of injured (story will be updated)
- Fall reading picks: South Lake Tahoe Library provides its top selections for the season
- Windjammers Yacht Club wraps up season with Fannette Island Race, LB wins on the water
- When winning is actually losing; an issue with the local banner ordinance (opinion)