A scheduling aberration is South Lake Tahoe’s gain.Sister Sparrow & the Dirty Birds tour includes Whiskey Dick’s Saloon. Other stops are Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Nashville, Tenn., Charlotte, Atlanta, Tampa and Houston. The band also will play a festival in New Orleans with Neil Young and Crazy Horse and Green Day.Opening Thursdays Tahoe show is Jelly Bread, perhaps Reno’s fastest rising band.Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds is a nine-piece powerhouse that puts a modern spin on classic soul. The band is led by Arleigh “Sister Sparrow” Kincheloe, whose powerful voice and sly demeanor make for a spellbinding presence onstage. She is backed by the mighty force of the Dirty Birds, a flock of eight who masterfully lay down thundering grooves and soaring melodies. Sister Sparrow began penning tunes in the alleyways and back roads between New York City and the Catskill Mountains as a teenager. Within six months of its November 2010 debut release on Modern Vintage Recordings, Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds had opened for the Black Keys, the Neville Brothers, Dr. John, the Rebirth Brass Band, and the Soul Rebels Brass Band, among others. Through appearances at such festivals as moe.down, Strange Creek, Camp Jam, Sterling Stage, and late-night at New Orleans JazzFest, it continued to gain wider acclaim.
- Epic Discovery launches at Heavenly Mountain Resort in Tahoe (video)
- South Lake Tahoe's newly approved design guidelines focus on natural elements
- Increased boating patrols, cold-water warning at Lake Tahoe
- $10.5 million Lake Tahoe home makes HGTV's House Hunt
- News briefs: Lake Valley fire chief retires, fire-awareness 'Red Flag' program, free weatherization program and more