TAHOE/TRUCKEE — Here they are, Truckee and North Tahoe: the best of the best, the crme de la crme, the cream of the crop — the 2012 Best of North Tahoe andamp; Truckee winners.This year, like every year, were took our Best Of contest very seriously because we feel it's one of the most important things a community newspaper can do — highlighting and celebrating the people, businesses, places and things that make Truckee/Tahoe such a great place to live, work and play.As you look below at all 68 winners in the categories of Best People, Best Food and Drink, Best Business and Best Places/Events, remember that it was you, our readers, who made this happen by voting in our online-only contest, a three-week period of submissions from our locals and visitors.We had a tremendous turnout this year compared to a year ago — we had a total of 899 people participate this year, and a whopping 16,712 submissions were made. That compares to numbers of 348 and 6,550, respectively, for 2011.And, as you'll see below, the entire Truckee/North Tahoe area is represented among the lists, proving what makes the entire region so special — all our little and big communities, from Homewood to Carnelian Bay to Incline Village to Truckee, and everywhere in between, are defined by their own uniqueness.This list is also a testament to the businesses and people who won this year — and for the countless more who fell just short. Without the tireless dedication you all put into enhancing and defining the lifestyle we all enjoy while living and playing in the region, well, Truckee/Tahoe would certainly look a lot different.So we say congrats to all the honorees and runners-up on your much-deserved honors. Your hard work and efforts make Truckee/Tahoe truly a great place.
- Tension high over bear management in Nevada side of Tahoe Basin
- Five injured in car accident down Kingsbury Grade Friday; city council candidate and wife confirmed as two of injured (story will be updated)
- Fall reading picks: South Lake Tahoe Library provides its top selections for the season
- Windjammers Yacht Club wraps up season with Fannette Island Race, LB wins on the water
- When winning is actually losing; an issue with the local banner ordinance (opinion)