Everyone needs a witness or someone to hear their story of loss and the feelings that accompany that experience. Someone who understands and can provide presence and guidance as one navigates the landscape of grief and mourning. Healing your soul and renewing your spirit occurs when using creative activities to work through your grief. “Art conveys love in a different way than talking or writing,” South Lake Tahoe artist Eileen Brilliant said. “When working with objects and pictures that represent the deceased loved one and creating collages or memory boxes, you gain a more profound way of knowing them that begins to heal your soul and renew your spirit.” Eileen attended the group as a participant and continues to contribute to the group as a facilitator and provides assistance with the creative expression of grief through the use of collage, memory boxes, and other forms of art. On Wednesday, Oct. 3, Barton Hospice will begin a free, nine-session grief support series, titled “Understanding Your Grief.” This group is for people who have experienced the death of a loved one. During this time we will share our stories, explore the process of grieving, use creative endeavors to express our grief and receive tools to aid in our healing, all in a safe, secure and confidential setting. Sessions will be held from 5:30-7 p.m. every other week at Barton Hospice, 2092 Lake Tahoe Blvd., Suite 500 in South Lake Tahoe. Pre-registration is required as the group is limited to 10 people. Registration closes after the second session. For information and/or to register, please call 530-543-5581 or 775-220-0342. — Rebecca Phillipsen is a social worker and bereavement counselor at Barton Home Health & Hospice.
- Tension high over bear management in Nevada side of Tahoe Basin
- Five injured in car accident down Kingsbury Grade Friday; city council candidate and wife confirmed as two of injured (story will be updated)
- Five questions with Tahoe's Talie Jane Interiors' Natalie Malik
- Fall reading picks: South Lake Tahoe Library provides its top selections for the season
- Membership-based airline expands service to and from Truckee Tahoe Airport