TRUCKEE, Calif. - Soroptimist International of Truckee Donner will honor Phebe Bell at the 29th Annual Woman of Distinction Award Reception on Thursday Oct. 18, 6 p.m. at the Community Arts Center, 10046 Church St., Truckee.
Soroptimist International of Truckee Donner honors a local woman annually who is worthy of special recognition for making outstanding contributions during a period of 10 years, with at least five of those years being directly in the community. The recipient can either be actively engaged in a career or retired. This is also a woman recognized by her peers and by the people with whom she comes in contact as being a woman of exemplary character and integrity. She demonstrates leadership qualities and is an ideal "role model" for other women.
Phebe's strong family values and her ingenuity and ability to communicate, has allowed her to successfully accomplish numerous projects both publicly and "under the radar" to make Truckee a better place.
• Current program director, Truckee Tahoe Community Foundation
• Previously worked at Tahoe Women's Services (now Tahoe SAFE Alliance) and was instrumental in creating their safe house for battered and abused women and children
• Sierra Mountain Soccer Club board member
• Former coordinator of the Children's Collaborative of Truckee and wrote grants for funding the construction/creation of the KidZone Museum.
• Led the "Speak Your Peace" civility campaign in the community and has since been invited to speak nationally
• Past PTO President at Truckee Elementary School for several years
• Helped launch the "Education Matters" initiative
• Former member of Nevada County Adult and Human Service Commission
• Founding member of TTCF Queen of Hearts
• Worked on many local education bond measures (S, A, C, U) for the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District, either as chairperson or serving on the steering committees
• Member of Measure A Citizen's Oversight Committee for seven plus years
• Longtime supporter of Excellence in Education Foundation
• AYSO soccer coach
• Instrumental in the creation of both the Truckee Family Resource Center and the North Tahoe Resource Center
• Truckee Interclub's 2008 Co-Citizen of the Year (with husband, Billy McCullough)
Phebe is known as a go-to woman in the Truckee community. The women of Soroptimist are thrilled to be honoring her this year.
Soroptimist International of Truckee Donner is a volunteer service organization founded by professional women dedicated to creating opportunities that improve the quality of life in our local community and throughout the world with an emphasis on women and girls.
For more information on how Soroptimist improves the lives of women and girls, visit Soroptimist.org. For more information about Soroptimist International of Truckee Donner, contact President Noel Trim at email@example.com.