Nine nonprofits recently received a total of $24,000 in grants from Barton Health’s Community Advisory Committee.The committee received 19 grant applications and chose the American Youth Soccer Organization to receive $1,500 for its Soccer Scholarship Fund; the Boys & Girls Club of Lake Tahoe, $1,500 for its Bike Safety for Youth Program; the South Lake Tahoe branch of the El Dorado County Library, $2,000 for its summer reading program, “Reading is so Delicious;” Live Violence Free, $5,000 for its child counseling services; the National Alliance On Mental Illness, $3,000 for emergency medications and temporary housing for mentally ill patients; Ordinary People meeting Extraordinary Needs, $3,000 for transporation for medical treatments; South Lake Tahoe Police Activities League, $2,000 for six-week athletic progarms and sports sponsorships; Tahoe Youth and Family Services, $3,000 for its Tahoe Collaborative Mentoring Project; and The Drug Store Project, $3,000 for the prevention of teen drug use program in Douglas and Lake Tahoe Unified School Districts.Grant proposals for 2013 will be accepted April 1 through June 28 and can be submitted online at www.bartonhealth.org/grants or in person at the Barton Foundation office, 2092 Lake Tahoe Blvd. Suite 600, South Lake Tahoe. For more information, please 530-543-5612.
- The history behind some of Lake Tahoe's naturist-friendly east shore beaches
- After 34 years, Tahoe's Ernie's has new owners
- Man arrested after allegedly shooting moving vehicle in Meyers
- Six new Tahoe-Truckee restaurants not to miss this summer
- Increase in high-elevation fires prompting change in Sierra Nevada forest management