Think carrots have the best nutrition for your eyes? Think again. Here are three facts about vision health.Kale beats carrots: Leafy greens such as kale and spinach contain the nutrients lutein and zeaxanthin, which have been shown to help reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration and other eye conditions. Other smart choices: citrus fruits, broccoli and produce rich in vitamin C.Be wary of the sun: More than half of Americans do not rate UV protection as a priority for sunglasses, according to a new survey from the American Optometric Association. But long exposure to ultraviolet light can damage your eye's surface tissues, as well as the cornea and lens, which increases the risk of cataracts, retinal damage and eye growths.Blink at your laptop: We blink about half as often when we stare at digital devices. Follow the "20-20-20" rule: Every 20 minutes, shift your eyes to focus at least 20 feet away, for at least 20 seconds.- "The Doctors" is an Emmy-winning daytime TV show with pediatrician Jim Sears, OB-GYN Lisa Masterson, ER physician Travis Stork and plastic surgeon Andrew Ordon. Check www.thedoctorstv.com for local listings.
Health & Wellness: Take care of your eyes
Trending in: News
- SoCal man, 42, drowns in Lake Tahoe (updated)
- Tahoe City man, 21, suspected of DUI in major-injury crash
- Tahoe Keys Marina investigated for illegally grading state land
- Truckee’s Squeeze In ready to franchise; opens Bay Area location
- California water restrictions already in place in South Lake Tahoe