Staff report

Back to: News
December 5, 2012
Follow News

Fire officials urge proper ash disposal

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. - Improper ash disposal is a common cause of structure as well as wildland fires, local fire officials said Wednesday.

"Whether fireplace or barbecue ashes, it is important to understand that embers in an insulating bed of ash can remain hot for as long as 7 days," according to a North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District press release. "Please do not put ashes in a paper bag or cardboard box or place ashes on your deck, in the bushes or next to the house. Doing so will most probably result in the fire district responding to a fire at your house."

Locals should wait until embers are completely extinguished and cold before placing them into a garbage receptacle or trash bin, according to the district.

"Thoroughly douse the ashes with water or simply place the ashes in a non-combustible metal container used solely for ash storage and wait a couple of weeks before throwing them away," officials said. "There is always the chance that the ashes are not completely extinguished and such disposal can lead to an unnecessary fire."

For more information, contact NLTFPD at 775-831-0351, ext. 0, or visit www.nltfpd.net.


Explore Related Articles

Tahoe Daily Tribune Updated Dec 5, 2012 07:52PM Published Dec 5, 2012 07:51PM Copyright 2012 Tahoe Daily Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.