Marvin Philip Orvik passed away on Dec. 16, 2012 at age 88 from a long illness in Truckee, Calif. He also was a resident of Carson City, Nev. for 24 years. He was born on Nov, 18, 1924 in San Francisco, Calif.Marvin was a loving husband and father whose family always came first. Though he wouldn't talk much about his military service, he served in the US Army in WWII in Europe with Company "A" of the 526th Armored Infantry Battalion and was a decorated soldier. He loved to travel around the American West and loved the mountains. He also liked to travel and visit family and friends. He was a master carpenter and worked in the construction industry as a foreman and superintendent for 35 years and was always making something and teaching others how to work with their hands. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him. He always had a song in his heart and a smile on his face.He was preceded in death by his wife Annette Louise Varni Orvik in 1998 and survivors include son Wayne Dennis Orvik (Nina) and daughters Ann Marie Orvik Broward (Steve) and Diane Orvik Johnson (Steven) and grandson Kevin Broward, and their families.Memorial contributions may be made to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America, 322 Eighth Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10001 www.alzfdn.orgArrangements are in the care of Truckee-Tahoe Mortuary & Crematory, 10126 Church Street, Truckee, CA 96161 (530) 587-4342.
- Boy, 13, killed by train near Truckee late Sunday afternoon
- Woman, 61, suspected of embezzling $850,000 from Lake Tahoe business
- 'True Squallywood legend' | Tahoe photographer beginning road to recovery after spinal cord injury
- North Tahoe crime logs: Man, woman fight over food, who pooped in bathtub
- Tahoe's Sand Harbor boat ramp won't launch for 2015; others will open