January 1, 2013 | Back to: News

NHP reports quiet New Year's; 14 arrests made during South Shore celebration

STATELINE, Nev. - More than 275 traffic enforcement stops were made by Nevada Highway Patrol troopers on Northern Nevada highways in a 10-hour period from 7 p.m. New Year's Eve until 5 a.m. New Year's Day, officials said.

Many of the motorists stopped were designated drivers for passengers riding in the vehicle, who were celebrating the New Year and had already consumed alcohol.

Only seven motorists, or roughly 3 percent, stopped during that timeframe were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Other calls for service during that same timeframe involved assisting 14 motorists whose vehicles had broken down along the highway and five automobile crashes were investigated as well.

Three of those crashes involved minor injuries and were in the Reno-Sparks area while two others happened in the Carson-Tahoe-Minden areas and were property damage only.

A typical crowd turned out to ring in the New Year at Stateline, with only 14 arrests during the evening, officials said.

Douglas County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Pat Brooks said the crowd was similar to last year's. Highway 50 through Stateline was closed at 11 p.m. and revelers were allowed onto the highway to celebrate the new year.

The Nevada side of 50 was cleared by 12:20 a.m.

"(The highway) was reopened to vehicle traffic at approximately 1 a.m. after the crowd peacefully moved off the roadway," Brooks said.

None of the public safety personnel reported any injuries.

The arrests were for charges including assault, domestic battery, disorderly conduct, minor consuming alcohol and civil protective custody. One person was issued a citation and released, Brooks said.


Explore Related Articles

Trending in: News

Tahoe Daily Tribune Updated Jan 1, 2013 06:39PM Published Jan 1, 2013 06:38PM Copyright 2013 Tahoe Daily Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.