On Thursday, President Barack Obama signed into law the defense bill, which included the Recalcitrant Cancer Research Act! Formerly known as the Pancreatic Cancer Research & Education Act, this bill will require the National Cancer Institute to develop a plan, or scientific framework, for pancreatic cancer research. The passage of this bill into law represents an unprecedented milestone in the history of pancreatic cancer. For the first time, there is a law dedicated to putting a greater focus on pancreatic cancer and other similarly deadly cancers. This achievement would not have been possible without the incredible dedication and passion of so many South Lake Tahoe and Tahoe Basin residents.On behalf of the thousands who have lost the battle, and on behalf of the survivors such as Stuart Jed, four-year survivor of Stage IV Pancreatic cancer, great thanks to each and every one of you for your dedication and support in helping to make this a reality. Each and every single time you made a phone call, sent an email, spoke to your congressman or senator, addressed a City Council meeting on the subject, or updated your Facebook status on this issue, you were an important part of making this day a reality. Congratulations on a job well done, and thank you so much for all of your support! Virginia Jed Northern Nevada/Lake Tahoe Community RepresentativePancreatic Cancer Action Network
- Tahoe-Truckee Toastmasters groups help locals learn to express themselves
- California's 3-foot bicycle law figures to play role at Truckee-Tahoe
- $30 million Tahoe City bridge, highway overhaul gets OK from TRPA
- Major Lake Tahoe wildfire disaster drill Saturday 'a big deal'
- Sierra history: Tracing California Highway Patrol's roots to pioneer days