James Cathey was born May 11, 1928, in Reno, NV, to Pauline & Carl Cathey. James died Jan 13, 2013, in Dayton, NV.James was very proud of being a native of Reno and attending Mt. Rose Elementary school and Billinghurst Jr. High. He always regretted not being able to attend Reno High as he moved to San Francisco, CA, with his mother at the age of 14. After graduating from Bates High School in San Francisco, Jim joined the Marine Corps and fell in love and moved to San Diego and started a family.Many years later he was able to return to the Reno area where he met is wife Laurel, whom he married in 1980. Jim was a meat cutter by trade, opened J & J meats on Arroyo and S. Virginia St. and then moved to Incline Village where he will be remembered as the owner of the meat department at the Village Market. Upon retirement, he moved to Smith Valley then back to Reno and then to Dayton.Jim was a caring loving husband, father, grandfather and uncle. He attended every event possible to support his grandchildren. He will be missed by everyone who knew him.Funeral services will take place Wednesday, Jan 23, at 1 p.m. at Mountain View Mortuary, 425 Stoker Ave. in Reno. Visit www.mountainviewcam.net/ for information.
- North Lake Tahoe casino win dips 15 percent in March
- Tahoe Forest Hospital CEO search firm: Process could take 4-6 months
- Not if, but when: Lake Tahoe fire season could be busy amid drought
- With little water, Lake Tahoe wildflowers are off to an early start
- The top five online: Tahoe-Truckee's most-read stories, April 27 to May 3