EDITOR'S NOTE: The following letter was submitted last week to the Truckee-Donner Recreation & Park District Board of Directors.As you may recall, we have previously addressed the Board with concerns regarding the potential sale of the Veteran's Hall to the Tahoe Forest Church. Our concerns are many, including transferring public property to private, the Rocking Stone, and of course, the substantial traffic impacts from a second church in such a small neighborhood.Another issue we would like to bring to your attention is the need to look to the future. This property was purchased for an absolute bargain of $1. It's a prime piece of real estate in the heart of downtown providing recreational uses to the community.While it may be currently underutilized now that the new rec. center has been built, it is still being used regularly and we must also look to future recreational needs. Inevitably, Truckee will continue to grow and the demands for recreational uses will grow along with the town.Once this property is sold, it's lost forever - there will be no opportunities to purchase additional property for such a bargain. As taxpayers and citizens, we would not support future bond measures to build new facilities if this property which is already an asset were to be sold.Please consider current and future recreational needs of our community when weighing the pros and cons of this potential sale. Thank you,Wes and Tonya BeyerTruckee
- Increased plague risk at Lake Tahoe's Fallen Leaf Campground; area to close briefly for pesticide treatments
- New Lake Tahoe Boat Show offers taste of the latest watercraft, Brew Fest
- Leaving a legacy: Softball, basketball mainstay Barcellos honored as South Tahoe Girls Athlete of the Year
- Pine pollen dusts Lake Tahoe's South Shore, bringing with it seasonal allergies
- Tahoe City's new Basecamp hotel: 'modern mountain with a sense of humor'