Carbs got a bad rap
February 18, 2017
Carbohydrates are seen as the enemy by many people looking to lose weight, but that reputation is ill-deserved for certain types of carbs.
Carbohydrates referred to as "smart carbs" can boost energy and mood and help people, even dieters, maintain healthy weights. Smart carbs, which can be found in fruits, vegetables, minimally processed whole grain products such as brown rice and quinoa, and whole wheat bread among other foods, contain vital nutrients and fiber.
The body takes longer to absorb whole grains than it does processed carbohydrates, stabilizing blood sugar and energy levels as a result. Because the body takes longer to absorb whole grains, feelings of satiety and fullness are extended. That reduces the likelihood of being hungry again shortly after eating, thereby helping people maintain healthy weights.
Those who want to avoid carbohydrates should avoid products made with white flour, such as white bread, non-whole grain pastas, potato chips, and breakfast cereals with high amounts of sugar.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Healthy Tahoe
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain possible today, cloudy conditions to linger through week