TRUCKEE, Calif. — Truckee’s new aquatic center is beginning to take shape, but not as recreation officials once envisioned.
The Truckee-Donner Recreation & Park District board recently supported the following changes to the original project design:
• The warm water pool will be constructed at a later date, with synthetic turf installed in its place for the meantime.
• An interior wall between the warm water pool and competition pool will be eliminated.
• An initially cheaper pool type made from a material called “gunite” will be bid, with an add alternative for a stainless steel pool (which requires less long-term maintenance) should funding allow.
• The building structure will be concrete masonry units instead of steel.
• The building will be lowered 2 to 3 feet to save on site grading costs.
“We’ve really been hacking, slashing and burning,” said Kevin Murphy, a TDRPD board director, at a May 22 meeting, where no formal vote was taken. “… It’s been quite onerous and painful just chopping all this stuff out.”
These changes will save an estimated $1.5 million, which should allow the project to fall within its $7.24 million budget, said Steve Randall, district general manager.
When the project was bid earlier this year, the lowest construction offer was $7.94 million based on original project designs.
Minus pre-construction costs, roughly $5.74 million will be available for construction.
Building redesign will continue into July, with additional small changes possible, Randall said.
The project is expected to be rebid in November, with bids accepted until mid-December. Construction is anticipated to start in early April 2015, with completion in early June 2016.
The center, which received Truckee Planning Commission approval on Dec. 17, will be located adjacent to the Truckee Community Recreation Center at 8924 Donner Pass Road.
Most of the center’s $7.2.4 million in funding is coming from money leftover from the rec center construction bid process in 2008, with $500,000 coming from district reserves.
It will replace the aging Truckee-Donner Community Swimming Pool located behind Truckee High School at 11725 Donner Pass Road.