Arrests made after Wells Fargo robbery |

Arrests made after Wells Fargo robbery

Wheeler Cowperthwaite

CARSON CITY – For the second time in eight days, Carson City Sheriff’s officers on Monday quickly apprehended a bank robbery suspect.

Less than five hours after the Stewart Street Wells Fargo was robbed, a suspect named Mike Smith, 41, was taken into custody at the Carson City Inn, according to Carson Sheriff Ken Furlong.

At 9:08 a.m. Monday, Wells Fargo employees set off an alarm after a man walked into the bank, handed the teller a note demanding money, according to the Carson City Sheriff’s Office.

Less than a minute later, deputies were at the bank but were unable to locate the suspect.

During the search for the robber, one of the people deputies stopped to interview was Smith’s alleged accomplice, Kenneth Young, 44.

When law enforcement reviewed the video footage from the bank, a senior FBI agent recognized Young as a possible witness from a robbery at Nevada State Bank in downtown Reno last week.

Recommended Stories For You

“The senior agent said, ‘That’s the dude from our other one!'” Furlong said.

A records check stated Young’s residence was Carson City Inn.

When law enforcement went to the Carson City Inn, 1400 N. Carson St., Young was arrested near the hotel. Carson City investigators soon discovered Smith also was staying at the hotel. According to a press release from the sheriff’s office, Smith’s vehicle was located in the parking lot, and it too matched the description of a vehicle used in the Reno area robbery.

The area of the motel where Smith was believed to be staying was surrounded around noon, by 2 p.m. Smith was in custody.

Search warrants on the two rooms were served Monday afternoon after the Special Weapons and Tactics Team secured them. During the search, evidence was collected that connected Smith and Young to the Wells Fargo robbery. Evidence also was found to help connect the two to the Nevada State Bank robbery, the press release states.

Investigators from the Reno Police Department, Carson City Sheriff’s Office and FBI agents continue to investigate. Neither man was booked into Carson City Jail as of 7 p.m. According to Furlong, the suspects are likely to be transported to Washoe County Sheriff’s Office today where they will likely be charged federally.

Furlong said he was elated that the second bank robbery in eight days had been solved and a suspect arrested.

“We’re two (bank robberies) for two in one week,” Sheriff Ken Furlong said. “It really feels good. There’s no other way to describe it.”

Last Monday, the U.S. Bank on Market Street was robbed. Less than two hours after that robbery Thomas Baye was in custody. Investigators found evidence directly relating to that robbery in Baye’s residence.

Go back to article