Charges against Tahoe man dropped
April 11, 2014
All charges against South Tahoe resident Ty Robben have now been dropped.
Douglas County District Attorney Mark Jackson, the special prosecutor named to handle the cases, previously dismissed libel and harassment charges. He served notice Thursday that he was dropping the charge Robben tried to hire a hit man to kill Justice of the Peace John Tatro.
Jackson was brought in after the Carson City DA’s office was disqualified from handling the case.
“Based on a full and complete review of all the evidence and the existing constitutional, statutory and case law, I filed a notice of dismissal today in the Carson Township Justice Court,” Jackson said in a statement.
He said that means Robben’s $50,000 bail has been lifted, and all pending charges against him have been dismissed.
“It is my understanding that Mr. Robben is in the process of being released from the Carson City Jail,” Jackson said.
Robben stopped by the Tahoe Daily Tribune Friday and said he was hoping to restore his life and family. He thanked his attorneys for their work to get him released.
“Thank you to Mark Jackson for standing up and supporting the U.S. Constitution,” Robben said.
Two weeks ago, Jackson dismissed the other case against Robben, which accused him of libel and stalking and two counts of attempting to intimidate Tatro and his family.
He did so stating that Nevada’s libel law was “unconstitutionally vague.” The stalking charge, he said, simply didn’t have enough evidence to support it.
Robben has been battling the state and criminal justice system since he was terminated by the Taxation Department. He was angry with Tatro for his conviction on charges of disorderly conduct centered on his attempt to — allegedly — serve papers on behalf of a friend on then-NDOT Director Susan Martinovich.