South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue: Barbecue briquettes cause small structure fire
July 15, 2017
South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue is reminding barbecuers to properly extinguish briquettes, after some of the charcoal bricks caused a small structure fire.
SLTFR responded to a structure fire that originated in an outbuilding behind 2649 Kubel Ave., according to a Facebook post Saturday. The fire was extinguished and the cause was determined to be discarded briquettes left outside near the shed.
That led SLTFR to issue the following statement: “Extinguish your briquettes before you discard them.”
SLTFR also posted the following steps for ensuring that the briquettes are properly disposed of:
Soak the charcoal briquettes in water for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
Wrap the soaked briquettes in a non-combustible material or container.
Place into the regular trash.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime & Fire
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- South Lake Tahoe resident wins Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100 mile race
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys