Fire and ice in basin over the weekend
April 10, 2005
A flue fire at a home on Riverside Avenue in South Lake Tahoe on Thursday caused some damage to a home.
Two engines and a medic unit were dispatched to the fire at 6:32 p.m. Thursday at 3159 Riverside Avenue. It was put out in a matter of minutes, but left an inside wall and chimney damaged, said South Lake Tahoe Fire Department Capt. Brad Piazzo.
Apparently, a woodstove with a flue was not installed properly, causing wood on the chimney structure to get hot and ignite, Piazzo said. A dollar amount for the damage was not available.
Elsewhere, South Lake Tahoe Fire Department responded to two accidents over the weekend on icy roads. There were no injuries.
There were several fender-benders on the Nevada side on Friday, mostly along Kingsbury Grade as snow turned to ice. No major injuries were reported.
On Saturday morning three vehicles were involved in an accident with a snowplow on Highway 50 near Lakeland Village. A Nevada Highway Patrol officer was unavailable for comment regarding the accident. A dispatcher said there were no fatal accidents on the Nevada side over the weekend.