Annika Sorenstam to play American Century Celebrity championship
May 27, 2014
STATELINE — Annika Sorenstam is ready to tee it up again with the guys.
Eleven years to the week since Sorenstam played at Colonial on the PGA Tour, she announced Monday she'll compete in July at the American Century Celebrity golf championship at Lake Tahoe.
The 43-year-old LPGA hall of famer says she'll play from the same tees as the men in the field full of sports legends and entertainers, including defending champion Billy Tolliver, eight-time winner Rick Rhoden and five-time champ Dan Quinn.
Sorenstam, the mother of two, has a home on the lake's north shore. She says she hasn't played a lot of golf since she retired five years ago but she's working on her game now to try to win the 54-hole tourney at Edgewood Tahoe.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- ‘Don’t be afraid to accept help’: Domestic violence survivor speaks up about her experience
- Where to view fall foliage — then grab a bite — in Lake Tahoe (video)
- Riva Grill hosts Knob Creek whiskey tasting
- ABC’s ‘Modern Family’ films season nine premiere in South Lake Tahoe
- Construction begins on Round Hill Pines Beach Resort
- Douglas County jury finds man innocent in alleged sexual assault at Lake Tahoe
- Gardnerville man killed in head-on collision near Red Lake
- Lake Tahoe weather: Chance of rain Thursday night, snow Friday morning
- Up in smoke: Wildfires scorch California pot crop at harvest
- Seamstress creates custom interior goods for Lake Tahoe homes