Crash closes Fairway intersection, knocks out power
November 29, 2013
A one-car wreck closed the intersection of Fairway Avenue and Fairway Boulevard on Tuesday evening and knocked out power to surrounding homes in South Lake Tahoe.
The driver of a silver passenger car, Jules Hoganson, 34, of South Lake Tahoe, crashed into a utility pole at the intersection shortly before 6 p.m.
The utility pole remained standing after the wreck, but was cracked in half. Liberty Utilities did not return calls requesting comment on the number of its customers affected.
Hoganson was taken to the hospital for evaluation after complaining of pain.
The incident remained under investigation Wednesday. Alcohol is believed to have been a factor in the wreck, according to South Lake Tahoe Police Lt. Brian Williams.
"The report hasn't been submitted yet, but we anticipate he'll be facing criminal prosecution for DUI once he gets out of the hospital," Williams said.
Police had responded to Hoganson's residence earlier Tuesday evening and given him a warning after someone reported him for aggressive driving.
South Lake Tahoe's police and fire departments had the intersection blocked off to traffic Tuesday evening as debris was cleared and utilities repaired. The intersection was reopened by Wednesday morning.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Zephyr Cove kindergarten teacher retires after 34 years
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- LimeBike bike sharing program coming to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Jack Johnson donates to Lake Tahoe environmental groups
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?