Crash closes Fairway intersection, knocks out power
November 29, 2013
A one-car wreck closed the intersection of Fairway Avenue and Fairway Boulevard on Tuesday evening and knocked out power to surrounding homes in South Lake Tahoe.
The driver of a silver passenger car, Jules Hoganson, 34, of South Lake Tahoe, crashed into a utility pole at the intersection shortly before 6 p.m.
The utility pole remained standing after the wreck, but was cracked in half. Liberty Utilities did not return calls requesting comment on the number of its customers affected.
Hoganson was taken to the hospital for evaluation after complaining of pain.
The incident remained under investigation Wednesday. Alcohol is believed to have been a factor in the wreck, according to South Lake Tahoe Police Lt. Brian Williams.
"The report hasn't been submitted yet, but we anticipate he'll be facing criminal prosecution for DUI once he gets out of the hospital," Williams said.
Police had responded to Hoganson's residence earlier Tuesday evening and given him a warning after someone reported him for aggressive driving.
South Lake Tahoe's police and fire departments had the intersection blocked off to traffic Tuesday evening as debris was cleared and utilities repaired. The intersection was reopened by Wednesday morning.
Trending In: Local
- Reforestation begins after Emerald Fire; cause of burn released
- Wet winter points to higher spring pollen count in the Tahoe Basin
- City of South Lake Tahoe says it over reported vacation home rental incidents
- South Lake Tahoe facing massive rise in pension payment
- Construction begins on new Lake Tahoe housing project in Stateline