Cyclist injured in hit-and-run
February 19, 2014
South Lake Tahoe Police are investigating a felony hit-and-run involving a teenage bicyclist and searching for information about an unknown driver who left the scene of the collision Monday evening.
According to police, the 15-year-old boy was riding his bicycle through the intersection of Washington Avenue and Third Street at about 6:30 p.m. Feb. 10 when he was struck by the driver of what is believed to be a light-colored Subaru wagon.
The boy fell from his bike and the driver ran over him before driving away east on Washington Avenue, police said.
Another motorist stopped and rendered aid to the boy, who was bleeding but still unconscious.
The motorist took the boy and his bike to the boy's home and then to the hospital. The boy was transported to the Renown Medical Center in Reno for care, according to police.
The collision occurred during hours of darkness in an area that has no street lights or marked crosswalks. It is not known whether the boy was wearing a helmet at the time of the incident as required by law, police said.
The suspect is believed to be a white male of unknown age.
Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to call the South Lake Tahoe Police Department or Secret Witness Tip Line at 530-541-6800. The case is being investigated by Officer Kallstrom.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- LimeBike bike sharing program coming to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore
- Zephyr Cove kindergarten teacher retires after 34 years
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Jack Johnson donates to Lake Tahoe environmental groups
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Ribaudo column: Is Lake Tahoe’s South Shore at risk of overtourism?
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe