Fallon man arrested after chase
December 13, 2013
A Fallon man faces a string of potential charges after allegedly leading Douglas County Sheriff's deputies on a car chase, crashing on Highway 50 in Glenbrook, then fleeing on foot and resisting arrest.
Jeremy Steven Valencia, 25, was stopped for suspicious behavior and not signaling lane changes Dec. 1 at 10:13 a.m., according to police reports. He reportedly yelled an expletive, put his car in gear and drove off after twice telling the deputy who stopped him that his name was "Camrom Smokey."
Valencia wrecked his white sedan about two miles away. The car was found upside down in a yard on Tamarack Drive, its airbags deployed and windows broken. He and a passenger, Rosi Lynn Paredes, 20, of Carson City, fled the scene on foot, according to a sheriff's office report.
Deputies said they used police dog "Hondo" to track Valencia and Paredes to a locked house but could not find them. A reverse 911 call was made to residents and deputies soon got a report of Paredes, who was located and detained.
A deputy later saw Valencia, who allegedly ran through a house on Highway 50, fought with the deputy on a boulder pile and ran off through the woods. The deputy chased Valencia into another house's garage, where he struck Valencia several times with a baton when he refused to comply and finally handcuffed him.
Valencia was driving on a suspended license and had a felony warrant for grand larceny. He said he ran because he was nervous about going back to prison for fear of being killed "for being native," according to the report.
Valencia was arrested on preliminary charges of eluding, leaving the scene of an accident, battery on a police officer, false imprisonment, burglary, obstruction, resisting arrest and driving on a suspended license, according to police.
Deputies arrested Paredes for leaving the scene of an accident. She alleged Valencia refused to let her out of his car before the chase, and that she had caused the wreck by grabbing the steering wheel and turning it.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- LimeBike bike sharing program coming to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore
- Zephyr Cove kindergarten teacher retires after 34 years
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe