Fire prevention fee billing begins
July 7, 2013
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection has provided an updated billing schedule to the Board of Equalization for the 2012/2013 Fire Prevention Fee bills. The new bills are set to go out beginning the week of July 15, 2013. The bills will go to owners of record as of July 1, 2012 for homes in the 31 million acres of State Responsibility Area where Cal Fire is financially responsible for the prevention and suppression of wildfires. Bills will be mailed alphabetically by county, beginning with Alameda County.
In accordance with Assembly Bill X1 29, the fee provides a stable source of funding for vital fire prevention activities such as strategic fuel reduction activities, defensible space inspections, fire prevention engineering, emergency evacuation planning, fire prevention education, fire hazard severity mapping, implementation of the state and local fire plans and fire-related law enforcement activities such as arson investigation. The Governor's 2013-14 budget contains new funding for enhanced land use planning, expanded vegetation management activities and additional defensible space inspectors.
For more information on the fee, visit http://www.firepreventionfee.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- First snow of 2017-18 season falls in mountains surrounding Lake Tahoe (video)
- South Lake Tahoe considers service that tracks down illegal VHRs
- California Highway Patrol IDs South Lake Tahoe motorcyclist killed in crash
- Guest column: City of South Lake Tahoe ignoring reality in crafting VHR policies
- Lake Tahoe weather: Happy first day of fall, here is some more snow