First workshop set for Tahoe Valley Area Plan
February 24, 2014
People are being asked to come and share their ideas for the Tahoe Valley Area Plan at a meeting next Thursday.
"We consider this workshop the kickoff meeting for the Tahoe Valley Area Plan," said John Hitchcock, project planning manager for South Lake Tahoe.
The Tahoe Valley Area Plan will be created as part of the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency's Regional Plan Update.
It would be South Lake Tahoe's second area plan, following adoption last fall of the Tourist Core Area Plan.
The 335-acre planning boundary for the Tahoe Valley Area Plan centers around the intersection of U.S. Highway 50 and State Route 89.
"This end of town has been sitting on the sidelines for a while and now we're putting some resources into a plan for the area," Hitchcock said. He added that planners already have been reaching out to property owners and other stakeholders in the area.
"We're hoping to have a draft plan ready for public circulation beginning in summer."
People are asked to help craft a vision statement for the Tahoe Valley Area Plan, provide feedback on land use, transportation, recreation and conservation issues and share ideas on how to make the area more pedestrian friendly.
Discussions also will touch on the Tahoe Valley Community Plan that was prepared but never adopted.
"Are those visions still valid or are there other things the city should be considering for this side of town?" Hitchcock said. "We're really interested in hearing what people have to say about what this end of town should look like."
The Feb. 27 workshop is in the South Lake Tahoe City Council Chambers at 1901 Airport Road. It starts at 6 p.m.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- LimeBike bike sharing program coming to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Carson City bypass ready for debut; residents to ride, run, walk final stretch of freeway Saturday
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- South Lake Tahoe resident wins Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100 mile race
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys