Harrison Avenue crews find underground tanks
May 16, 2014
Working on the total rebuild of Harrison Avenue in South Lake Tahoe, Sierra Nevada Construction unearthed what appear to be three old heating oil tanks this week.
The construction company hopes to mitigate the 4-by-10-foot tanks in-ground rather than dig them out and remove them, but is awaiting final word from the El Dorado County Environmental Health Department on whether that will be allowed.
One tank was found at the corner of Alameda and Harrison avenues. Two more tanks were found extending underneath the building that houses South Tahoe Standup Paddle.
Samples have been taken from inside the three tanks and from the soil around them for analysis, to determine what is in them and if they have been leaking out into the surrounding ground.
If the tanks are allowed to be mitigated in place and left in the ground, crews would pump the tanks out, triple-rinse them and fill them with concrete. If not, the tanks would have to be excavated and removed along with any contaminated soils, project manager Mitch Grayson said.
"We're moving past that area and continuing to work in other areas now to keep moving forward and stay as close to on schedule as we can while we're waiting for this issue to be resolved," Grayson. "By Tuesday we should have the final word."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- LimeBike bike sharing program coming to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Lake Tahoe filled to the brim for first time in years (video)
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- South Lake Tahoe resident wins Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100 mile race
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys