Husband, wife killed in Tahoe boat crash (updated w/ photos)
August 11, 2014
A husband and wife were killed in a boating accident on Lake Tahoe early Sunday morning after crashing into a dock piling near Meeks Bay, authorities said.
Responding units from North Tahoe Fire and the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office found San Ramon, Calif., residents Vadim Raizanov, 45, and Tatiana Nikolskaya, 44, dead at the scene.
According to the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office, an initial investigation indicates the two had been driving a 19-foot-long 1997 Glastron boat at a high rate of speed when the crash occurred.
The force of the impact, which was enough to awaken a group of people sleeping on the dock at the time, split the boat's hull in half, authorities said.
The El Dorado County Sheriff's Office received a report of the incident at 1:40 a.m. The dock is located on the 7000 block of Emerald Bay Road.
Authorities said they are investigating the possibility that alcohol may have been a factor. Autopsies are scheduled for early this week.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Parking restrictions beefed up at Raley’s Village Center
- 5 things to know about the proposed South Lake Tahoe sales tax for roads