Kyburz Fire fully contained
July 19, 2013
The Kyburz Fire was fully contained Friday morning.
The estimated size of the fire was reduced from 615 acres to 572 acres, according to a press release. Firefighters have been battling the blaze since Monday at 12:41 p.m. It was reportedly started by a vehicle that blew a tire in a rural section of the highway between White Hall and Kyburz. It started on the north side of the highway and quickly spread.
Today, firefighters will continue to secure the fire perimeter and to extinguish hot spots within control lines. Fire managers will continue the work needed to repair roads and trails damaged during the firefighting effort and to prevent soil erosion within the fire lines. Personnel and equipment are being released from the fire as containment increases.
All recreation areas and campgrounds near the fire are open with no restrictions. All roads are open, though travel on Weber Mill Road is not advised due to debris in the road. Drivers are asked to drive slowly and be aware of firefighters and equipment throughout the fire area.
Since Monday, two outbuildings have been destroyed. No injuries have been reported.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- LimeBike bike sharing program coming to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore
- Zephyr Cove kindergarten teacher retires after 34 years
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe