My Echo Story: Douglas County Education Foundation
March 26, 2014
Extending beyond what is subsidized by the school district, the Douglas County Education Foundation funds grants requested by teachers for the purpose of enrichment in our schools. With the support of Vail Resorts Echo, as well as Heavenly Mountain and Kirkwood Resorts during the last two years, the Education Foundation has been able to pay for wonderful school programs, benefiting local students for years to come. DCEF prides itself in seeking projects that will impact a large number of students for an extended period of time. One project recently sponsored by VR Echo is currently igniting young minds and tapping into their creativity at Pau-Wa-Lu Middle School.
The Technology Club at Pau-Wa-Lu is very grateful to have received a grant for three Lego Mindware Robotic Engineering kits, developed by Carnegie Mellon University. The kits allow students to collaboratively observe, measure and adjust the robots' programming, like making the wheel's motors turn in opposite directions for the robot to spin. Sensors allow the robots to also respond to touch, light and sound.
The Lego Mindware kits meet Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) objectives and teach students the value of collaboration, testing in problem solving and a glimpse of what it means to be an engineer. Teachers hope this program can continue with more kids and students in the future.
Corporate sustainability has always been fundamental for Kirkwood and Heavenly Mountain Resorts and their parent company, Vail Resorts. Through Vail Resorts Echo, our sustainability program, we hope to connect our communities to our efforts — from on the ground conservation programs to grants for local schools. Aimed at both protecting the natural resources that surround the resorts and helping build stronger communities where our employees live and work, Vail Resorts Echo encompasses three core efforts: environmental stewardship, charitable giving and community engagement. Want to learn more about VR Echo? Go to http://www.vailresortsecho.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Zephyr Cove kindergarten teacher retires after 34 years
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- LimeBike bike sharing program coming to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Jack Johnson donates to Lake Tahoe environmental groups
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?