One killed in crash near Zephyr Cove
June 10, 2013
A 24-year-old Lodi woman was killed and four people were injured following a Sunday crash near Zephyr Cove.
About 3 p.m. troopers from the Nevada Highway Patrol responded to reports of a two-vehicle crash on U.S. Highway 50, according to a statement from the NHP.
Preliminary investigation has found a white 2011 Toyota Corolla 4-door-sedan driven by Eduardo Vizcarra-Sicairos, 29, was traveling west in the inside lane of the highway when it skidded out of control across the double yellow-line and was struck by an eastbound 4-door Hyundai Elantra.
Reyna Vizcarra, a passenger in the front seat of the Corolla and Vizcarra-Sicairos' wife, was killed by injuries sustained in the crash and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Two emergency medical helicopters responded to transport victims. Four people were taken to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno, according to the statement.
The driver of the Elantra, 26-year-old Carson City resident Shanna White and one of her passengers, 21-year-old Carson City resident Kellie Kerklay, have been treated and released, according to the statement. NHP said Vizcarra-Sicairos and Katelyn Kraiprai, a 21-year-old Carson City resident who was also riding in the Elantra, remain hospitalized.
The vehicles came to rest on their wheels following the crash and blocked much of the highway for several hours. All travel lanes were reopened about 7:40 p.m.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation. Heavy rain and hail were falling at the time of the crash and wet conditions may have contributed to the collision.
Trooper Kris Satterwhite of the Major Accident Investigation Team is investigating the crash. The NHP encourages anyone with information to contact him at 775-689-4682 or firstname.lastname@example.org regarding case number NHP-130600878.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- LimeBike bike sharing program coming to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Lake Tahoe filled to the brim for first time in years (video)
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- South Lake Tahoe resident wins Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100 mile race
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys