Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
October 19, 2016
EL DORADO COUNTY, Calif. — The pilot of an aircraft reported missing in the Sierra over the weekend was found dead among the wreckage of his plane on Tuesday afternoon.
El Dorado County Sheriff's officials said the wreckage was found southwest of Lake Schmidell — which is about 30 miles due west of South Lake Tahoe — at about 4:15 p.m. Tuesday.
The Sheriff's Office has not identified the pilot, who was reported overdue on Sunday.
Searchers started on looking on Sunday, but had to call off efforts due to bad weather.
Weather also affected the ability of aircraft to get a low level visual search of the area on Monday morning.
"Civil Air Patrol is flying above and unable to get visual on the ground at this time," Sgt. Tasha Thompson said on Monday. "CHP aircraft attempted to get a visual of the search area but the weather hampered their efforts. We do have search and rescue ground crews actively searching at this time."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- ‘Don’t be afraid to accept help’: Domestic violence survivor speaks up about her experience
- Where to view fall foliage — then grab a bite — in Lake Tahoe (video)
- Riva Grill hosts Knob Creek whiskey tasting
- ABC’s ‘Modern Family’ films season nine premiere in South Lake Tahoe
- Construction begins on Round Hill Pines Beach Resort
- Douglas County jury finds man innocent in alleged sexual assault at Lake Tahoe
- Gardnerville man killed in head-on collision near Red Lake
- Lake Tahoe weather: Chance of rain Thursday night, snow Friday morning
- Up in smoke: Wildfires scorch California pot crop at harvest
- Impending storm prompts closure of Sierra passes