Prescribed burns at Tunnel Creek
March 11, 2014
Weather permitting, Nevada Division of Forestry will conduct prescribed burns at Tunnel Creek in the Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park backcountry during March, April and May.
Tunnel Creek Road from State Route 28 to Tunnel Creek Station, just south of Incline Village, may be closed in order to conduct the burns. Signs will be posted throughout the area when burns are being conducted.
Fifty acres will be burned in eight separate treatment units.
The burns are part of an ongoing fuels treatment and forest restoration efforts being conducted in cooperation with Nevada Division of State Parks, Nevada Division of State Lands and North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District.
Weather patterns will be monitored for smoke management prior to and during burns. The timing of the burns will depend on optimum weather conditions and steps will be made to minimize impacts to park visitors, Nevada Division of Forestry said.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- LimeBike bike sharing program coming to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore
- Lake Tahoe filled to the brim for first time in years (video)
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe