Snowboarder dies at Heavenly
February 6, 2014
An 18-year-old man from Fountain Valley, Calif., died Tuesday at Heavenly Mountain Resort after a snowboarding accident.
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office on Wednesday identified the victim as Wyatt James Colvard.
According to the sheriff's office, Colvard was found lying in the snow unconscious and having a difficult time breathing.
Ski Patrol provided basic life support to Colvard and transported him down hill to awaiting Tahoe Douglas paramedics who began advanced life support care, but Colvard succumbed to his injuries.
In a statement, Heavenly said that Colvard was found unresponsive about 11:30 a.m. in upper Nevada Woods, an expert area at the ski resort that is presently closed. Colvard was found to be wearing a helmet at the time of the incident, according to the resort.
Preliminary findings of an autopsy indicate Colvard died from internal injuries from blunt force trauma, according to the sheriff's office.
The incident remains under investigation.
Trending In: Local
- Reforestation begins after Emerald Fire; cause of burn released
- Wet winter points to higher spring pollen count in the Tahoe Basin
- City of South Lake Tahoe says it over reported vacation home rental incidents
- South Lake Tahoe facing massive rise in pension payment
- Construction begins on new Lake Tahoe housing project in Stateline