Snowboarder dies at Heavenly
February 6, 2014
An 18-year-old man from Fountain Valley, Calif., died Tuesday at Heavenly Mountain Resort after a snowboarding accident.
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office on Wednesday identified the victim as Wyatt James Colvard.
According to the sheriff's office, Colvard was found lying in the snow unconscious and having a difficult time breathing.
Ski Patrol provided basic life support to Colvard and transported him down hill to awaiting Tahoe Douglas paramedics who began advanced life support care, but Colvard succumbed to his injuries.
In a statement, Heavenly said that Colvard was found unresponsive about 11:30 a.m. in upper Nevada Woods, an expert area at the ski resort that is presently closed. Colvard was found to be wearing a helmet at the time of the incident, according to the resort.
Preliminary findings of an autopsy indicate Colvard died from internal injuries from blunt force trauma, according to the sheriff's office.
The incident remains under investigation.
Trending In: Local
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- Motorist hurt after going over side of Kingsbury Grade
- Mountains Work Week shows young professional the perks of working in Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe filled to the brim for first time in years (video)