South Shore farmers markets return
May 10, 2013
Lake Tahoe may be better known for the frustrations it presents to backyard farmers than its vegetables, but the less-than-produce friendly environs haven't prevented the area from being part of a growing demand for regionally sourced food.
The summer farmers market season at the South Shore began this week with the Friday Evening Farmers Market at Kahle Community Park. The smallest of the farmers markets at the South Shore was doing brisk business Friday, with a steady stream of people filtering in to purchase citrus, leafy greens, organic strawberries and cherries, among other regional products.
This year is the second for the market, which was started by Round Hill resident Steve Rozier as a community gathering place and convenience for residents of the Nevada side of the South Shore looking for fresh produce. The Iowa native said he was looking forward to the upcoming peach season, the arrival of fresh corn and the availability of Nevada-grown produce in July. The market will take place, weather permitting, from 4-7 p.m. every Friday until Sept. 27. The park is located at 236 Kingsbury Grade in Stateline.
Rozier said he also expects to hold a pumpkin patch and fall festival farmers market in October at a location yet to be determined.
The Ski Run Farmer's Market is also scheduled to be back for a third year. The Ski Run Boulevard market is scheduled to start June 21 and take place from 3-8 p.m. every Friday until Sept. 6., said organizer Michaela Dickson in an email. She said the market expects to have between 20 and 25 vendors this year. The market has also added a storyteller and will have lots of activities for kids like a rock-climbing wall, bounce house and face painting, Dickson said. Live music and a Blue Angel Café beer garden will also return this summer.
The farmers market at the American Legion, 2748 Young St. in South Lake Tahoe, is set to start June 4. The market takes place from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Tuesday until Oct. 8, according to the El Dorado County Certified Farmer Market Association.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- LimeBike bike sharing program coming to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore
- Zephyr Cove kindergarten teacher retires after 34 years
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe