Structure fire temporarily closes Lake Tahoe Pizza Co. |

Structure fire temporarily closes Lake Tahoe Pizza Co.

Eric Heinz

Lake Tahoe Pizza Co. will be closed until further notice after a fire about 11 p.m. Monday burnt a significant part of the building's attic.

"We're very lucky because the structure didn't burn to the ground," owner Levon Touryan said Tuesday. "We'll be closed for a while."

No one was working inside the building at the time of the fire, Touryan said.

Touryan said he thinks the fire started from old wiring in the attic but, according to a news release from South Lake Tahoe Fire Department, officials have not determined a cause.

Touryan said the building was erected in 1946 and the wiring was an original part of it.

"All the wiring is burned up, and quite a bit of the storage things are burnt," he said. "They had to cut a hole in the roof, and there's a bit of damage to the doors, the bar and things like that. It's really ugly right now, but I think we can clean it up quickly."

Recommended Stories For You

Most of the other structural integrity should reparable, Touryan said.

"As owners and workers we can go in there, but at this point for the public it is not safe for them," he said.

Touryan said the fire was a bit of a shock, but overall he is fairing well.

"Physically we're good, and financially it's an interesting scenario to see what we need to do," Touryan said. "It's really upsetting us as business people, but they might have saved the building by getting there quickly."

Although he won't be open for some time, Touryan is still keeping his hopes high.

"We're just grateful to have a great business up here, but we're disappointed we cant serve the people, and the employees will not have the business to work for the rest of the summer," Touryan said, adding he employs some college students who come to work during summer months. "But it was a better part of the summer to happen, not really the busiest part."

Firefighters from South Lake Tahoe Fire Department, Lake Valley Fire Department, Calfire and Tahoe Douglas Fire Department all responded to the blaze, according to a news release sent Tuesday from SLTFD.

Go back to article