Suspected molester apprehended after standoff
July 10, 2014
EL DORADO HILLS, Calif. — A suspected child molester being apprehended Wednesday threatened to commit suicide, which started a standoff with deputies at his home in the Copper Hill Apartments.
Eric Hatfield, Jr., 37, was eventually arrested and booked into the El Dorado County Jail on suspicion of child molestation. His bail is set at $1 million, according to the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office.
Sheriff's deputies surrounded Hatfield's home and made contact with him by telephone at about 1:30 p.m. Hatfield made suicidal statements, refused to exit his apartment and was believed to be armed with a shotgun, according to the sheriff's department.
Sheriff D'Agostini activated the Crisis Response Unit. At about 4 p.m., deputies shut down El Dorado Hills Boulevard at Olson Lane and Wilson Boulevard. The team negotiated with Hatfield until he surrendered to authorities at about 9:30 p.m., according to the sheriff's office.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge
- 5 things to know about the proposed South Lake Tahoe sales tax for roads
- New university center to bring more 4-year degrees to Lake Tahoe Community College