Tahoe ski resorts to host job fairs
October 11, 2013
The ski and snowboard season is coming ever closer, and the resorts in the South Lake Tahoe area are in full recruitment mindset.
Job fairs are being held this week, and more ski areas will host fairs throughout the month.
Kirkwood Mountain Resort
Kirkwood's job fair will take place Oct. 12 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The openings the Kirkwood has open currently vary in each discipline, spokesperson Kevin "Coop" Cooper said. He said lift operators are very important to acquire at this time, as well as snowmakers, hospitality personnel, food and beverage employees, and retailers through Kirkwood Mountain Sports.
"We want amazing retailers who want to sell the passion and the sport," Cooper said, adding ski and snowboard instructors also are needed. "We're looking for about 200 people to fill all those seasonal positions."
Cooper said he has been working at Kirkwood Mountain Resort for 20 years, ever since he drove through the area for a concert on a "powder day." He said he began his career at a store that was once called Outfitters in 1993 and never left.
For a list of jobs, visit http://www.winter.kirkwood.com/site/. Applications can be obtained at http://www.vail.resorts.com. Those who cannot make the job fair can apply on the website or call the resort's human resources personnel.
Sierra at Tahoe
The Sierra at Tahoe job fair is scheduled to take place Nov. 3 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Most of the jobs needed are lift operators, food and beverage employees as well as ski and snowboard school instructors, ski area personnel said.
"We're also looking for non-certified (ski and snowboard) instructors, and a marketing sales coordinator," human resources generalist Jessica Albery said, adding the ski area does need highly advanced skiers and snowboarders who can maneuver through all ski terrains.
Other jobs available include janitorial positions, a day care attendant and teacher, guest services and a safety risk manager.
Albery said supervisors from each department will be available to speak with prospective employees.
For more information or to see job postings, visit http://www.sierraattahoe.com/employment.
Heavenly Mountain Resort
Heavenly Mountain Resort has scheduled a job fair 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Oct. 19.
"Open positions for the 2013-14 winter season include: ski and snowboard instructors, ticket sellers, cooks, lift operators, retail sales associates, parking attendants, ticket scanners, mountain safety attendants, and more," the release sated.
The news release stated hundreds of people applied for positions last year, with 800 positions open this year. A full list of the resort's positions can be found at http://www.jobs.vailresorts.com.
Trending In: Local
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- Reforestation begins after Emerald Fire; cause of burn released
- Lake Tahoe filled to the brim for first time in years (video)
- Wet winter points to higher spring pollen count in the Tahoe Basin
- City of South Lake Tahoe says it over reported vacation home rental incidents
- Lake Tahoe water board orders further study, cleanup of contaminated groundwater
- Tahoe crime recap: Scissor-wielding transient man arrested after hurling profanity, threats
- UPDATE: Police say stolen tractor-trailer crashed into famed brothel near Carson City
- Suggestions for making the most of Memorial Day weekend at Lake Tahoe
- Ribaudo column: Housing in Tahoe — ‘like a bad toothache that doesn’t go away’