Transportation is Transformation tour in South Lake Tahoe
April 7, 2014
Members of the California Transportation Commission and other transportation officials are in South Lake Tahoe for a two-day "Transportation is Transformation" presentation Monday and Tuesday.
The event includes 20 guest speakers in a "virtual tour" dealing with Tahoe-related issues.
On Monday, Joanne Marchetta, director of Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, will discuss local area plans; Ray Lacey, deputy director at California Tahoe Conservancy, will discuss El Dorado Beach at Lakeview Commons; Ray Jarvis, public works director for South Lake Tahoe, will discuss the Harrison Avenue streetscape improvement project; and Brendan Ferry, a planner with El Dorado County, will discuss the Meyers Area Plan.
Also on Monday, Tom Brannon, of Caltrans, will discuss the "Lakeside" State Route 89 environmental improvement project; Cindy Gustafson, of Tahoe City Public Utilities District, will discuss area mixed-use trails and State Route 89 Fanny Bridge community revitalization; Paul Pettersen, of HDR Engineering, will discuss the cross-lake passenger ferry initiative; and Peter Kraatz, of Placer County, will discuss the Kings Beach Commercial Core Improvement project.
Other speakers on Monday include:
• Jason Van Havel, of Nevada Department of Transportation, will discuss the Incline Gateway.
• Dave Solaro, of Washoe County, will discuss the Highway 28 corridor management plan, integrated transit and the north demo bikeway.
• Mike Gabor, of the U.S. Forest Service, will discuss the Highway 28 corridor and public land access.
• Carl Hasty, of Tahoe Transportation District, will discuss Douglas County bike trails and the local area plan, transit systems and the TTD corridor approach.
• Mike Bradford, of the South Tahoe Alliance of Resorts, will discuss the South Lake Tahoe Vision Plan.
• Mark Rayback, of Wood Rodgers, will discuss U.S. 50 community revitalization.
• Nick Haven, of the Tahoe Metropolitan Planning Organization, will discuss the Lake Tahoe Sustainable Communities strategy.
Speakers on Tuesday include:
• Sharon Scherzinger, director of the El Dorado County Transportation Commission, and Mark Rayback, of Wood Rodgers, will discuss the findings of the Bay to Basin Tourist Travel Study and what it means to Sierra Transportation.
• Celia McAdam, director of the Placer County Transportation Planning Agency, will present, "What's the problem with rail?"
• Dan Landon, director of the Nevada County Transportation Commission, will discuss interregional bike trails and multi-modal access in the Sierra.
• Carl Hasty, of the TTD, and Derek Morse, of Morse Associates Consulting, will present a Trans-Sierra Transportation Coalition investment business case analysis.
• Derek Morse will present a summary and conclusion and a look at next steps.
Presentations run from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday and from 8:30 a.m. to noon Tuesday and are open to the public. The event is being held at the Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel, 4130 Lake Tahoe Blvd.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Zephyr Cove kindergarten teacher retires after 34 years
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- LimeBike bike sharing program coming to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Jack Johnson donates to Lake Tahoe environmental groups
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?