Work on new school playground underway
June 26, 2014
Bijou Community School students returning from summer break will find a new playground in place of the old, broken structures they remember.
Construction on a new playground started last week, with a crew already having completed about a third of the project by Monday. When all is finished, students will have 7,500-square-feet of ring swings, slides, platforms and more at their disposal.
"The PTA has been especially active with this project," Principal Cindy Martinez said. "The kids are definitely excited."
Money for the $102,000 playground was raised through several donations and fundraisers, including the school's annual walk-a-thon.
Martinez said it will serve not only the students of Bijou, but children in the community as well.
"It was a community project," she said.
The project is expected to be completed in the next few days.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Zephyr Cove kindergarten teacher retires after 34 years
- LimeBike bike sharing program coming to Lake Tahoe’s South Shore
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Jack Johnson donates to Lake Tahoe environmental groups
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Woodacre man dies in single-vehicle crash on Highway 88 near South Lake Tahoe
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?