Zephyr Cove residents safe after Yukon loses wheel
May 27, 2014
A Zephyr Cove couple had a harrowing experience when the right rear wheel of their vehicle came loose on Highway 395 near Parr Boulevard in Reno on Monday afternoon.
The incident occurred at 12:48 p.m. as the couple were returning home. According to the Nevada Highway Patrol, a GMC Yukon XL was towing a trailer south on the highway when the wheel came off the vehicle.
The Yukon's driver lost control, and the trailer fish-tailed a short distance before rolling over into the center median.
The Yukon remained upright, and neither the driver nor the passenger suffered any injuries. The trailer remained hooked to the Yukon by the safety chains. No other vehicle was involved in the accident, according to Trooper Chuck Allen.
However, the trailer blocked both lanes of travel, leaving the highway partially blocked for several hours.
Allen said motorists should expect a slowdown along that portion of the freeway until around 5 p.m.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge
- 5 things to know about the proposed South Lake Tahoe sales tax for roads
- New university center to bring more 4-year degrees to Lake Tahoe Community College